To kick off the new year, our resident nutritionist and naturopath Shelley McKenzie has created this delicious and healthy gut loving balanced bowl using our Euphemia Organic Wholefoods range, perfect to get your gut health back on track for 2021!
Grab the delicious recipe below:
Gut Loving Balanced Bowl
The new year is here and no doubt most can use a little bit of gut loving after the festive season. I can happily say this bowl is absolutely amazing and even better if you do a little meal prep at the same time. But what makes it gut loving? Well, let’s have a look at some of the ingredients.
Firstly, one of the most important aspects of maintaining good gut health is by creating microbial diversity. We can do this by adding a diverse range of wholefoods such as veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes and grains into the diet. These foods are high in fibre which helps to fuel beneficial gut bacteria. This bowl is an absolute whole food powerhouse with 7 different wholefoods including red lentils, quinoa and hemps seeds, which not only offer protein in this bowl but are jam packed with fibre.
Next this bowl has sauerkraut which is full of beneficial bacteria. During the fermentation process an abundance of probiotics are produced as well as digestive enzymes that assist the body to break food down into more digestible molecules.
As well as the sauerkraut, the miso paste in the dressing is full of both pre and probiotic benefits to assist your overall gut health.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
- Shelley x
- ½ cup Euphemia Organic Red Lentils (cooked)
- ½ cup Euphemia Organic Black Quinoa (cooked)
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 cup of roast veggies (any you choose. The featured bowl has broccoli, pumpkin and white potato)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 – 2 tbsp of sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle of Euphemia Hemp Seeds.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees
- Roughly chop your roasting vegetables. Place in a large bowl and coat with the olive oil.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until golden. Once cooked, remove from the oven and sit aside.
- Meanwhile cook the quinoa. Add ½ a cup of quinoa to a pot with 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse your lentils in water before boiling. Then place ½ a cup of red lentils into a pot with 1.5 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- To build your bowl layer spinach, then roast veggies, lentils, quinoa and sauerkraut.
- To make the dressing, mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Pour 1 – 2 tbsp over your bowl.
- To meal prep this so you are able to eat this bowl through the week. Double the ingredients before cooking.
- Store each ingredient individually in containers in the fridge.
- Simply pull out your ingredients daily and build your bowl.